Monday, November 09, 2009

Goal of the Week Update for 11/13/2009 Goal

Okay, so this week has been really busy with evenings well past midnight Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.  I got my first learning games of Malifaux in.  I think I like this game as much as Infinity.  It defiantly out ranks GW and PP games.  Simple mechanic, low model count and and an interactive turn.  So none of that "Take your turn while I run to the bathroom, I'll make the armor saves when I get back" stuff.  While the response mechanism is different that Infinity, I am actively involved the entire game.  Also, while I am not a huge fan of the "bucket o' dice" mentality.   Malifaux doesn't even use dice, just a deck of cards (even standard poker deck if you want).

I received my first Winsor Newton Series 7 brush.  So far, it is just a nice brush.  The handle seems a little thinker than the Winsor Newtons I am used to and the bristles are cut much closer to the ferrel. I also received my B&H 67mm protective filter.  Now my camera can go outside with out compromising that 18-105 lens.

Sadly, both my dishwasher and 30" monitor died too.  So I will be spending Veteran's Day figuring out which part of the washer is leaking, and then weighing the replace/repair costs.

The Skorne Warpack is slowly getting closer.  These guys were never intended to be my best work.  They are more for experimentation and playing.  The Highborn Covenant will be my "master class" faction/contract.  the free hand is a mixed bag.  It turns out I can do some really nice free hand in a one off, but replicating it is just asking for disaster (and in this project I both asked and received).  You can see the difference of copying the Skorne symbol versus the common practice of easy to reproduce geometric shapes.  Anyway, I am just having fun painting something that isn't a tank or warjack and learning to use the camera.




Attached Banner pole, and you can clearly see differences in the free hand.







Here is the titan. He is pretty much painted. I have the interference paint as seen in the 3rd photo on him. I think because he is a nice solid mass, the camera auto-focuses on him much easier.  this is the first time I have really tried to use that paint, it is challenging, but I am slowly getting the hang of how to use it.  You have to thin, but also put in some medium and flow release otherwise it puddles and you can see the brush strokes.  Hey its a learning model.  I also tried wet blending the tusks, just about the worst place to try on, since the other tusk gets in the way of the brush handle when trying the pull the brush for the actual blend.  I tried to shade the whites with a light blue.  That was an absolute failure.  But I tried it and that was the point.  So this guy is almost ready for protective varnishing, and then matte varnishing for the skin, and gloss for the purple enamel parts.  Then comes the weathering and distressing.





Okay the banners. As said before, Matching free hand, not so great, but it is getting there.

So I think all this will go on custom swamp bases to hide the painting errors.

No comments: