Saturday, December 05, 2009

Goal of the Week (er, um, month) for 12/05/2009

This project for whatever reason was a bear.  It was the perfect story.  It was project more complicated than imagined, in a very busy time period with multiple interruptions.  Dragon Age: Origins soaked up hour upon hour, Thanksgiving kept me cooking, the whirlwind trip across the North East actually kept me away from painting. At some point I became simply disinterested as newer and more sparkly things arrived.

But they are painted.  Not based or weathered (which will require selecting a base style).  I have to remember these models were never intended to be my best work, and were to simply be painted so I could continue my holier than thou anti-playing with primed model attitude.  (I have since relaxed it a bit.  I will not play with new models for a system, until the ones I have are painted.  This only works for smaller systems like 300 point Hordes, Infinity and Malifaux).


This is where I was on the 13th of November.   Things don't look terribly different, but there are some subtle differences, mainly in that the banner poles are attached.  You'll also notice, I got much beter with my camera zoom, just in time to show all kinds of tiny defects.  Perhaps the most egregious of them will be fixed when a base and weather them.

Cyclops Savage No. 1, painted and varnished.
You can see that I had a really nice free hand Skorne symbol on one side, and a not so nice on the other. I can do really nice "one off" free hand, but not so much when it comes to replicating it. Something to consider if I start doing Celtic knots and such for Eldar or whatever. You'll notice a slight discoloration or fuzziness at where the banner poles connect. After too many issues with those annoying poles, and being to far along the project to do much, I decided to simply epoxy them when done. Next set of back poles get brass rod shafts, and wire loops bulked out with green stuff for the harness. This was just a "get you by" trick, that isn't really all that noticeable.




Cyclops Savage No 2. Painted and varnished
You'll notice the simpler free hand pattern on this guy. Rather than copy something (the Skorne scorpion symbol), I simply started carving up rectangles until I got something I liked. Not a perfect copy by any means, but a learning experience. When you simply don't care, and are looking for ways to speed up certain steps, these kinda projects are great for that.




Titan Gladiator, painted and varnished
Every time I picked this guy up, I found something new to do. In fact, I can list of about five things now that I could easily fix (and probably will when it comes time to base him). This guy is really my first "finished" model with interference paint. That purple sheen is really there. I used that "flip paint" you see used as an additive to car paint. One tube the size of your basic Delta Ceramcoat or Americana craft paint runs about $11. Generally it is used to via airbrush, but because of the order I painted the model in, I ended up mixing up a brush formula. While expensive, you have to remember it an additive, but a paint base. A blob the size of a pea was enough to glitter all fourmodels, and have enough left over to probably do eight more. After varnishing satin, I went in by hand and glossed the purple glittery enamel.

These models were actually the first time I ever used GW's inks. The gold is PP Rhulic gold washed with Sepia and a second wash of either Black or Mud depending on which ever one I grabbed that day. After that was dry, I dry brushed the metal again.

Personally, I am not pleased with the off white/blue shading effect I got on the white parts. Even when not zoomed in, it still looks splotchy. i thyink I should have done it all off white, hit with white powder and then varnished it, using the white powder to form a white highlight. Too late.






Morghul, painted and varnished
This guy has been done for several months now and was not really part of this project. When I get to basing him, all four pieces will be done at the same time. You can definitely tell I learned how to use the manual focus on teh macro setting with these pictures.



So til next time.

No comments: