Wednesday, October 28, 2009

First Pictures with the D90

Note: This post does not appear to be rending properly under FireFox.
It seems to be fine under Chrome and Internet Explorer.

So on  a whim I pulled my DKoK Super Heavy Armored Urban Assault Division and laid it out on my staging/gaming/work area (er, pool table).  Using the heavily discounted tripod thrown in with the camera, I was able to raise camera above my head and keep it steady for a better high angle shot.  Later last night, I also started experimenting with the macro and zoom features for up close photography of this week's goal (paint to completion 5 FoW Sherman tanks).


Here is the wide angle from about my should level (so 5ft).



Here is the same set up about 1 ft closer and at about 6ft 6in on the tripod.

You'll have to bear with me as I handle the initial excitement with my new toy. While the D90 replaces a Nikon Coolpix 4500, which wasn't a slouch of a camera 8 years ago, this is my first camera that is designed to be used out of AUTO. I am way over my head. It turns out the 4500 has a near focus of like 3 inches while the D90 has near 18 inches. The D90 however has such a high resolution, and is such a quality camera, that In macro mode even 2-3 feet away, you can zoom way in on the images. Guess I need to add photography to the list of classes to take. It will be joining in no particular order: Classical & Koine Greek, Hebrew, Intermediate Ice Hockey and Medieval European History.


This evening I will post updated pictures of those M4A1s. The first pass of Badab Black was huge. I expect great things from some well placed judicious Delvan Mud. Sadly, I am anything but judicious.

No comments: