Thursday, October 22, 2009

Reviews

So I am thinking to myself on the drive from work "I buy tons of stuff.  I should review some of it." A key part of that is *I* buy a lot of stuff.  People don't give me stuff, and I don't want them to.  I have plenty of stuff.  I buy stuff out of sheer curiosity all the time. (As an aside, often this my biggest how my biggest mistakes start, either by thinking or buying.  Getting in the car with me is the passenger's mistake.)

I am not a reporter or journalist.  I am not an exhaustive fact checker in my personal life.  The English language is one of my weakest subjects.  Writing a blog does not qualify me as an expert at anything.  At best, I am just some random guy with way too much time on his hands;  at worst, and a self righteous dilettante.  Luckily, that is a fairly narrow and innocuous spectrum of possibilities. 

So what possible credibility do I bring to a review?  See the first paragraph.  I chose to buy things wide variety of thing, and I do it out of curiosity.  Am I absolutely impartial? No.  I, however, do not receive goods or services from entities seeking a review.  So often you read in a review the phrase "from the consumer's perspective...".  Well, in this case the reviewer is the consumer.  I neither buy things simply to review them, nor is my income premised on me reviewing them.  This is all stuff I bought and will continue to buy anyway.  (As of writing this, no one has read my blog yet anyway).  In addition, I purchased something out of desire, need, curiosity and sadly on occasion boredom.  This gives me a desire to actually use whatever it is (with the notable exception of things bought in a fit of boredom).  I have a at least a modicum of vested interest determining exactly what bought, not simply the state of art, because it sitting is my basement taking up room that could hold other stuff I do not need.


Hope you enjoy. (Reviews to start this weekend)

2 comments:

John Stiening said...

I think if you add google analytics to your blog you might notice that people do read it!

Paint those tanks!

Bryce said...

Right now, I am just trying to get this thing somewhat presentable. I am currently at "Yeah, I have a blog too...". Hopefully by November I'll be to "Dude, check out my blog." D90 arrives tomorrow, so the photo fun will be in full swing for the next couple months.