Thursday, October 29, 2009

Mid-Week Update for the 10/31/2009 Goal

So this week I set out to paint five M4A1 Sherman tanks from BattleFront (the Flames of War people).  This is my first foray in 15mm scale.  I own some 12mm Warmaster models, but they came painted off eBay.  I had to buy them, honest.  It is the only game system where Kislev is fully supported with respect to the rules (and at one time miniatures), even if it is a finesse army.

So here is what I started with on Sunday Night.








Not much to look at and they take up room.  'Twas an ideal candidate for Goal of the Week.  As you can see on my other posts, those guys had stay on my desk for ages. These pictures were taken after I had painted the heavy machine guns and the tracks (basically black) and touched the metal pins in the tracks with boltgun metal.  I used the AFV FAQ book by Mig Jimenez to get that shade of bright green via an airbrush mix of Tamiya colors.  At first it looked way to green, almost like some kinda Home Depot spray can.  Later, we'll see why that color intensity is so important.  I was really worried they would come out looking like cheap toys doused in lime juice.  I really should have had more faith in that book.

On Wednesday, this is where I stood:







So, here they are with the basic painting, decal treatment, and washes done.  You can really see why the tank needed to start out that bright.  What is left?  Well, spot highlighting, armor fading, varnishing and weathering.  The tank commander poking his head out also needs more than a coat of Tallarn flesh and Badab black wash he has now.

On a side note, I have no idea how to use my new camera and my images will suffer until I figure it out.  it is a huge adjustment going from a decent but old point and shoot camera with a 3in near focus (Nikon Coolpix 4500) to a quality new DSLR with an 18 in near focus (D90).  With the Coolpix, I just zoomed in and shot. it was the only option really.   Now that I am at a tier of quality where the general purpose 18 105mm, is not as easy to use for macro photography, I need to actually learn what I am doing.

No comments: