Tuesday, October 27, 2009

You know you might have a problem...

when you order $60 of mini's from the Warstore, get the wrong ones and are still happy as a clam.  Honestly, they are Malifaux miniatures, so the things are hard to get as it is.  Luckily, I couldnt't decide between Lilith and Victoria crews anyway.  Getting Marcus and Miranda instead of Sonia Criid's box set wasn't a big deal either.  If it really bothered me, I know Neal would have it swapped out in a heartbeat.  Now if this afternoon, the UPS guy delivers a box without a Nikon D90 in it, I won't be so generous.

The M4A1 Shermans for Flames of War are whole new experience for me.  I have never painted at 15mm before or to a real world color scheme.  It is really forcing me to paint like an artist (like Ron does).  I am more from the hyper-realism school like Mig Jimenez (the guy who has the killer FAQ book and the highly over priced, high quality weathering kits) (Note: I am not where near his quality, just his style).  At 15mm, I have to learn to exaggerate contrast and not busy the model with too much clutter (er, detail) which shouldn't be visible at that scale.  Washes and inks will be my friend for sure.  Still working on how to apply that soft fade for the goofy shade of green I used.  It is way brighter than OD green..  In fact, I used OD green from Vallejo on some of the molded on stowage and crew.  I hope this gives the impression that military paint isn't always held tot eh most stringent consistency.  Khaki chalk, pale green-yellow oil, heavily thinned tan acrylic?  Decals are going on like a charm, softened right up.  The setting solution is doing its thing while I am at work.  Turns out out I forgot put the stowage accessory sprue on the tanks.  Not a huge deal, but I also never put the appliqué armor plates on either.  While not required, they do break up the smooth lines of the M4A1 nicely giving a nice place for chipping and weathering.  Anyway, these things have been sitting basecoated on my desk for 8 months now and it is nice to finally be moving them along.

Tons of photos to follow tonight.  More testing out Google Chrome on my work PC right now more than anything.

2 comments:

Space Hulk Enthusiast said...

I can't imagine painting at 15mm.
I have enough problems at 28mm as it is. I think I might just prime it and wash it and be done at that scale.

pokey000 said...

Yeah what Ron said. 15 mm is way too small. I would have to rest my eyes for several days after painting something that small.